Jonathan Majors Cut From Dennis Rodman Biopic ’48 Hours in Vegas’

Jonathan Majors and Dennis Rodman (Credit: Deposit Photos)

Jonathan Majors was expected to deliver a slam dunk on screen as Dennis Rodman.

Instead, the actor has been benched following his assault conviction, and will no longer play the former Chicago Bulls star in the upcoming film, 48 Hours in Vegas.

CNN and Variety both published reports on Friday, saying the actor was dropped from the project.

Majors, 34, entered into talks to play the NBA legend in 2022. Then in March 2023, the Creed III star told the Associated Press he was training for the role.

“Hopefully, I get to sit with him and chat with him,” Majors said, adding that he was “excited” about the part.

Related StoryMLK’s Daughter Calls Out Jonathan Majors for Reducing Coretta Scott King to a ‘Prop’

The film will center on Rodman’s infamous 48-hour trip to Las Vegas during the 1997-98 NBA season. Rodman is an executive producer on the film.

Back on March 9, when Urban Hollywood 411 reported Majors would be playing Rodman, we described the actor as “one of the busiest” performers in Hollywood, after his breakout role in The Last Black Man in San Francisco (2019).

Then on March 25, he was arrested in New York City and charged with assaulting then-girlfriend Grace Jabbari. Majors maintained his innocence throughout the case.

Shortly after his arrest, Majors was dropped by his longtime talent management company Entertainment 360. The actor’s publicity team at powerful pr agency, The Lede Company, parted ways with him as well. And the U.S. Army pulled recruitment ads featuring Majors, saying it was “deeply concerned” about the allegations.

On Dec. 18, a New York jury convicted Majors on misdemeanor assault and harassment counts. The Marvel star was acquitted of one count of intentional assault in the third degree and one count of aggravated harassment in the second degree. He faces up to one year in prison and will be sentenced on Feb. 6.

Almost immediately after his conviction, Marvel Studios and parent company Disney cut ties with Majors, who was supposed to star in the next phase of the MCU.

The actor debuted as supervillain Kang the Conqueror in the Disney+ series Loki. He also played the character in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and was expected to have a leading role in the 2026 film Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.

Disney removed the actor’s film Magazine Dreams from its release schedule as well. The bodybuilding drama received rave reviews at the 2023 Sundance Film Festival, and had been scheduled to arrive in theaters on Dec. 8, 2023.

In its report earlier today, Variety said sources close to Amazon revealed Majors is also “no longer in discussions” to star in Da Understudy, which was announced in March 2023 as a Spike Lee project.