Marvel Cuts Ties With Jonathan Majors After Assault Conviction

Jonathan Majors as Kang (Credit: Marvel Studios)

Marvel Studios and parent company Disney immediately dropped Jonathan Majors on Monday, after he was found guilty of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.

Sources told Variety the studio will not move forward with the actor, who was set to star in the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as villain Kang the Conqueror.

Majors, 34, debuted as Kang in the Disney+ series Loki. He also played the character in this year’s Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and was supposed to star in the 2026 film Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.

A Manhattan jury convicted the actor on Dec. 18 of misdemeanor counts of assault and harassment.

The Creed III star was acquitted of one count of intentional assault in the third degree and one count of aggravated harassment in the second degree. He faces up to a year in jail and is scheduled to be sentenced on Feb. 6.

Related StoryJonathan Majors Appears to Admit Attacking Ex-Girlfriend in Unsealed Text Messages: ‘I’m a Monster’

The actor’s attorney Priya Chaudhry released a statement to Urban Hollywood 411 shortly after the verdict was announced.

“Mr. Majors is grateful to God, his family, his friends, and his fans for their love and support during these harrowing eight months,” Chaudhry said. “Mr. Majors still has faith in the process and looks forward to fully clearing his name.”

Majors was arrested on March 25, 2023, when Jabbari, 30, accused him of assaulting her as they rode in the back of a chauffeured SUV.

The confrontation began when the dancer/movement coach grabbed the actor’s phone from his hand after seeing a text message from a woman named Cleopatra that said, “Wish I was kissing you right now,” according to prosecutors.

Jabbari suffered minor injuries to her head and neck during the confrontation and was taken to a nearby hospital, an NYPD spokesperson said at the time.

The actor was charged with multiple misdemeanors. He pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.

Just days before his arrest, Majors was announced as the lead in Spike Lee’s upcoming film, Da Understudy, about the understudy of a Broadway production who “finds a role he’s willing to kill for.” The status of the film is unclear.

In October, Disney removed the actor’s new film Magazine Dreams from its release calendar. The film had been scheduled for release on Dec. 8, 2023.