Jussie Smollett testified Monday in his Chicago hate crime hoax trial. The actor admitted having a sexual relationship with one of the men who allegedly helped him carry out the 2019 attack, but insisted there’s no truth to the police account saying the attack was a sham.
“There was no hoax,” Smollett testified, according to NPR. The actor was trying to refute previous testimony from brothers Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, who said the former Empire star hired them to fake the attack to get publicity.
Related Story: Fox Responds to Questions About Bringing ‘Empire’ Back
The actor admitted paying Abimbola Osundairo, who he called “Bola,” $3,500 for a diet and exercise plan — not as payment for a phony attack like prosecutors allege.
Smollett also said “Bola” helped him get drugs, including cocaine, and that the two “made out a little bit, masturbated together” in the past.
“Did you talk to him about some hoax?” defense attorney Nenye Uche asked. “No,” the actor responded.
Smollett, 39, has pleaded not guilty to six counts of disorderly conduct.
As previously reported, the actor was originally charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly filing a false police report before the Cook County State Attorney’s Office dropped the charges. Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx later faced backlash for the way the case was handled.
Related Story: Jussie Smollett Gives Rare Interview About Alleged Attack (Video)
Amid the controversy, special prosecutor and former United States Attorney Dan Webb was brought in to take over the case and new charges were filled, including six counts of making false reports to the Chicago Police Department.
Smollett claimed two masked men put a noose around his neck and doused him with a chemical, while using racial and homophobic slurs. After investigating, Chicago police alleged he staged the attack.