A New York City judge on Wednesday denied a motion by Jonathan Majors’ legal team to dismiss the actor’s assault case, paving the way for his criminal trial to begin on Nov. 29.
Majors appeared via Zoom for the hearing because he is out of town, Variety reported.
The hearing came in response to the actor’s lawyers filing a motion for the court to dismiss the case, saying he is innocent.
The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office submitted a response to the motion last week, arguing for Majors to go to trial. The response alleged the actor’s lawyers misrepresented court evidence, and attempted to have police make a wanted poster with accuser Grace Jabbari’s photo on it.
The Los Angeles Times obtained a copy of the prosecution’s response to the motion. It said the dispute between Majors and Jabbari started while they were being driven in a car and Majors received a message on his phone that read, “Wish I was kissing you right now.”
The Creed III star was arrested on March 25, following a dispute with his then-girlfriend Jabbari on a New York City street.
An NYPD spokesperson said at the time that the alleged victim suffered minor injuries to her head and neck during the confrontation and was taken to a nearby hospital.
Prosecutors charged Majors, 34, with multiple misdemeanor counts — including assault in the third degree, three counts of attempted assault in the third degree, one count of aggravated harassment in the second degree, and one count of harassment in the second degree.
The Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania actor denied all of the allegations.
Majors filed a counter-complaint in June saying he was assaulted by Jabbari during their confrontation. The complaint alleged the woman scratched, slapped, and grabbed at his face, causing pain and bleeding.
Then in August, the actor’s attorney Priya Chaudhry said Majors was “the real victim”
“One hundred and thirty-one days ago, authorities unjustly cuffed Jonathan Majors in his own home,” Chaudhry said in a statement to Urban Hollywood 411. “Jonathan Majors, the real victim in this shameful ordeal, has had his life, career, and reputation torn apart.”
The Messenger exclusively reported on Monday, Oct. 23, that Jabbari “will soon be charged with assault seven months after the actor’s March arrest.”
The outlet cited the Office of the Deputy Commissioner, Public Information (DCPI) for the NYPD. The report said Jabbari, who is out of the country, will be issued a desk appearance ticket, which says a suspect must appear in court to answer charges.
But prosecutors said in their recent motion that the D.A.’s office had “informed Ms. Jabbari’s attorney that the People would decline to prosecute Ms. Jabbari if she were arrested.”
The motion said prosecutors notified Jabbari’s legal team and Majors’ defense attorneys of their decision not to prosecute in September.