NBA Player Jaxson Hayes Sentenced for Altercation With LAPD Officers

New Orleans Pelicans Play Jaxson Hayes. (Credit:

Nearly a year after Jaxson Hayes was involved in a physical altercation with Los Angeles police officers, the New Orleans Pelicans center has been sentenced to 450 hours of community service.

The sentence was handed down on Tuesday (June 14) and includes three years of probation, and a year of weekly domestic violence classes, the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office told the Associated Press.

Hayes has the option of performing the community service where he lives instead of in L.A. and he can take the domestic violence classes online, the city attorney’s office said. He must also pay restitution, in an amount that will be determined at a later date.

Related StoryVideo Shows Police Using Taser on NBA Player Jaxson Hayes After He Shoves LAPD Officer

The sentencing came after Hayes, pleaded no contest in February to misdemeanor counts of false imprisonment and resisting an officer.

Hayes made headlines in July 2021, when officers responded to a 911 call for a domestic disturbance in the Woodland Hills section of L.A., where Hayes had been fighting with his girlfriend, as previously reported.

The basketball player was standing in the front yard of a home when officers arrived.

“Officers informed Hayes they received a call at the location and needed to speak with the victim, but requested Hayes remain outside while they did so,” the LAPD said at the time.

Responding officers recorded the encounter with their body cameras. Amid public scrutiny, the police department released the footage in August 2021.

The video showed Hayes telling officers, “You need a warrant.” An officer responded “You’re mistaken. Step back please.” Hayes then became visibly upset and a man identified as his cousin tried to restrain him as two officers blocked Hayes from entering the home.

Related StoryLA County Sheriff Denies Targeting Reporter Who Broke Police Abuse Story

Hayes shoved an officer into a wall outside the front door. Another officer pulled out a Taser as Hayes was tackled to the ground.

“I’m gonna tase you! Stop! Stop Resisting!” an officer yelled.

As Hayes continued to struggle, another officer pressed a knee into his neck as he gasped: “I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe.” An officer yelled “stop resisting!”

Hayes and one officer were treated at a local hospital and released. After being medically cleared, Hayes was booked and released two and a half hours later on $25,000 bond.