Drake has broken his silence about last week’s deadly Astroworld stampede in Houston. The “One Dance” rapper posted a statement on Instagram Monday night offering condolences to the victims and their families.
“I’ve spent the past few days trying to wrap my mind around this devastating tragedy,” Drake began. “I hate resorting to this platform to express an emotion as delicate as grief but this is where I find myself.”
“My heart is broken for the families and friends of those who lost their lives and for anyone who is suffering. I will continue to pray for all of them, and will be of service in any way I can. May God be with you all,” he ended the statement.
Related Story: Roddy Ricch to Donate Astrowold Earnings to Victims’ Families
Drake appeared as a featured guest at the festival. The Canadian superstar is one of the artists named in lawsuits from survivors of the crowd surge that left eight dead and hundreds of others injured.
Scott, concert promoter Live Nation, organizer ScoreMore and others are being sued as well. Famed civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump is representing one of the survivors.
The festival was founded by Scott back in 2018. In 2020, it was canceled because of the pandemic. On Friday night, the festival returned with 50,000 people attending. Witnesses have said the event was simply too crowded.
“Everyone was passing out around you, and everyone was trying to help each other. But you just couldn’t move. You couldn’t do anything. You can’t even pick your arms up,” high school senior Nick Johnson told the Associated Press. “It just got worse and worse.”
Day two performances were canceled following the deadly surge.