Bravo has parted ways with Real Housewives of Salt Lake City star Jennie Nguyen after her resurfaced social media posts about Black Lives Matter sparked backlash.
“Bravo has ceased filming with Jennie Nguyen and she will no longer be a cast member of The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City,” the network said in a statement Tuesday on Twitter. “We recognize we failed to take appropriate action once her offensive social media posts were brought to our attention. Moving forward, we will work to improve our processes to make sure we make better informed and more thoughtful casting decisions.”
— Bravo (@BravoTV) January 25, 2022
The controversy erupted when Facebook posts said to be from the 44-year-old reality star resurfaced last week. Originally shared in 2020 during the Black Lives Matter protests, the since-deleted posts included phrases like “BLM Thugs” and “Violent Gangs.”
On Jan. 19, Nguyen confirmed she wrote the posts and issued an apology on Instagram.
“I want to acknowledge and apologize for my deleted Facebook posts from 2020 that resurfaced today,” she wrote. “At the time, I thought I was speaking out against violence, but I have since learned how offensive and hurtful my words were.”
After Bravo’s announcement that Nguyen would no longer be filming RHOSLC, social media users criticized the network for not taking action sooner.
Nonprofit civil rights advocacy group @ColorofChange replied to Bravo’s tweet: “COC contacted @BravoTV & asked them to re-examine vetting processes and apologize. #BravoTV must be held accountable for platforming individuals like Jennie Nguyen, who spewed anti-Black rhetoric.”
Twitter user @shoutthetruth2 tweeted: “Good it’s about time. Jennie’s posts were abhorrent.”
Nguyen has not yet responded publicly to Bravo’s announcement. She joined The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City during its current second season, which is expected to conclude next month and feature a pre-taped reunion show.