A Los Angeles judge has ordered rapper Tory Lanez to be placed under house for allegedly attacking R&B singer August Alsina — while already on bail.
The judge handed down the order on Wednesday, following pleas from prosecutors that the hip-hop star be taken off the streets until he goes on trial for the 2020 shooting of rapper Megan Thee Stallion, City News Service reported.
Lanez made headlines last month when Alsina posted photos of himself on Instagram with a bloody lip and bruises. He said the injuries were inflicted by Lanez because he refused to shake the Canadian rapper’s hand during an encounter in Chicago on Sept. 17.
The rapper insisted he was innocent and posted a statement on his Instagram Story saying the attack claims were not true. “I’m not into anything negative … I’ve been working on my self … And being a better person,” he insisted.
Related Story: Tory Lanez Being Investigated for Allegedly Assaulting August Alsina
Still, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office told Urban Hollywood 411 at the time that Lanez remained on prosecutors’ radar and they were looking into the claims.
“We are aware of the allegations that the defendant attacked artist August Alsina and are investigating these claims,” the D.A.’s office said. “The allegations are serious and will be thoroughly examined.”
On Wednesday, prosecutors requested Lanez’s bail for the shooting be revoked, claiming the rapper — real name Daystar Peterson — poses a threat to society.
Lanez’s attorney, Shawn Holley, countered that the allegations over the Chicago incident are “disputed.”
But prosecutors said Lanez has “shown such a flagrant disregard for the court’s orders.” They also accused the rapper of violating orders not to come within 100 yards of Megan Thee Stallion.
Related Story: Megan Thee Stallion Recalls Being Told ‘Dance B—h’ Before Alleged Tory Lanez Shooting
Instead of revoking the rapper’s bail, Superior Court Judge David Herriford decided on a compromise, and ordered Lanez to be fitting with an electronic monitoring device and placed on house arrest by Friday.
Two years ago, Lanez was charged with one felony count each of assault with a semiautomatic firearm; personal use of a firearm; and carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle, following the Megan Thee Stallion shooting.
Prosecutors said on July 12, 2020, Lanez got into an argument with Megan while riding in an SUV in the Hollywood Hills. Megan exited the vehicle, at which time prosecutors alleged Lanez fired several shots at her feet, leaving her injured.
Lanez’s trial is scheduled to begin on Nov. 28, in downtown Los Angeles.
If convicted as charged, he faces a maximum sentence of 22 years and eight months in state prison.