Tiger Woods ‘Lucky to Be Alive’ After California Car Crash, Sheriff Says

Tiger Woods Car Crash Screengrab (Credit: YouTube/ABC7 Los Angeles)

Tiger Woods is currently hospitalized after being involved in a “single vehicle roll-over” crash in Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif. on Tuesday morning, according to law enforcement.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told reporters at an afternoon briefing that Woods is “lucky to be alive.” The professional golfer, 45, had to be cut from the wreckage of the mangled Genesis GV80 SUV he was driving.

“We used a Halligan tool, which is a tool used for prying, and we also used an ax to pry him from the vehicle. He was taken from the vehicle with a collar and backboard for spinal precautions,” said Fire Department Chief Daryl Osby.

Related Story: Driver Suspected of Killing Nicki Minaj’s Father in Hit-And-Run Surrenders

Sheriff’s officials had earlier released a statement saying Woods was freed from the vehicle using the “jaws of life,” but the fire department later clarified. Woods was transported by ambulance to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in nearby Carson.

“Tiger Woods was in a single-car accident this morning in California where he suffered multiple leg injuries,” his agent Mark Steinberg said in a statement to the media.

Sources told the Los Angeles Times Woods suffered a shattered ankle and two leg fractures.

Aerial footage from the scene showed the golfer’s turned over vehicle on its side.

“Deputies at the time, they did not see any evidence of impairment,” Sheriff Villanueva said, meaning drugs or alcohol did not appear to be factors in the crash.

The accident occurred just after 7 a.m., and the sheriff said weather was not a factor because it was sunny and clear. Villanueva added that Woods was traveling at a “relatively greater speed than normal, descending down a hill.”

There are frequently accidents along the stretch of road where the crash happened, the sheriff noted. However, an investigation will be conducted to determine the exact cause of the crash.

Local Los Angeles television station ABC7 streamed video from the scene: