New details emerged Wednesday in the investigation into the deadly Rust movie set shooting, with the Santa Fe County sheriff saying 500 rounds of ammunition and three guns were recovered from the scene in New Mexico.
“During the additional investigation, it was determined that actor/producer Alec Baldwin was the person that fired the weapon. We identified two other people that handled and/or inspected the loaded firearm prior to Baldwin firing the weapon,” Sheriff Adan Mendoza said in a nationally-televised news conference.
Mendoza went on to name the other two people as armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed and assistant director Dave Halls. The sheriff said all three people were cooperative and gave statements.
He added that the investigative team has conducted interviews, executed search warrants and collected evidence from the scene. Investigators have currently gathered 600 pieces of evidence.
“During this process, we determined there were a limited amount of movie set staff present in the area where the actual incident took place,” he said.
Mendoza also said, “There was a total of 500 rounds of ammunition — that is a mix of blanks, dummy rounds and what we are suspecting [are] live rounds.”
Mendoza also said his team has taken possession of the firearm Baldwin was holding, as well as the spent shell casing. As for whether charges will be filed, Mendoza would not say.
“It’s too early right now in the investigation to comment on charges,” Mendoza stated.
District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies then said, “If the facts and evidence and law support charges, then I will initiate prosecution at that time.”
She added, “I do not make rash decisions and cannot rush to judgment. I cannot stress the importance of allowing the Santa Fe sheriff’s office to continue with their investigation, which is both serious and complex.”
As previously reported, Baldwin discharged a “prop firearm” last Thursday on the set of the film.
Director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, was airlifted to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement obtained by Urban Hollywood 411.
Director Joel Souza, 48, was transported by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent’s Regional Medical Center. He was treated and released, according to published reports.
Hutchins leaves behind a husband and young son. There has been an outpouring of support for the family, with vigils held in New Mexico and Burbank, California.
Watch the full press conference about the shooting investigation below: