Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been stripped of their royal partnerships with U.K. charities, after saying they won’t return to their official royal duties.
“Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement Friday. “While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”
As a result, Harry’s honorary military appointments will revert back to Queen Elizabeth II and be redistributed “among working members of The Royal Family.” The couple’s partnerships with U.K. charities will also be reassigned.
Related Story: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to Break Silence in Oprah Interview
Following the announcement, Harry and Meghan released their own statement.
“As evidenced by their work over the past year, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organizations they have represented regardless of official role. We can all live a life of service. Service is universal,” the statement said.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex left their official royal roles and moved to North America in March 2020. At the time, the queen agreed to a 12-month review of the decision.
News about the change in their royal status came four days after CBS announced the two had agreed to a tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey. Sources told Page Six the upcoming broadcast was a “cause for concern” for the royal family.
Earlier this week, Harry and Meghan announced they are expecting a second child.