Man Points Gun at TV News Crew in Chicago During Live Report on Gun Violence

Man Points Gun at TV News Crew (Credit: Fox 32)

Chicago police are trying to track down the man who pointed what appeared to be a pistol at a TV news crew during a live report on gun violence in the city.

The disturbing incident, which was caught on video, shows reporter Joanie Lum of WFLD, Fox 32, reporting live when the suspect approached.

Lum was speaking into her microphone just before 7 a.m., as the man walked behind her and pointed a small handgun directly into the camera on Wednesday, May 25.

Related StoryLos Angeles News Photographer ‘Kidnapped’ at Knifepoint During Stay-at-Home Protest (Exclusive)

Police released images of the suspect. (Credit: Chicago Police Department)
Police released images of the suspect. (Credit: Chicago Police Department)

Fox 32 did a follow-up story on the incident, with a news anchor telling viewers: “Chicago police have issued a community alert” on the man.

“At the corner of Clark and Hubbard, while our reporter was in the middle of a report about gun violence in Chicago, a man walked up and pointed what appeared to be a firearm at our crew,” the newscaster explained. “Our reporter and photographer were not injured and we want to say thank you to the viewers who were watching ‘Good Day Chicago’ and called or emailed to make sure our crew was okay.”

Police are trying to identify the man, who is described as a “person of interest” in the case. CPD has turned to the community for help and urged anyone with information to contact them at (312) 744-8261 or via an anonymous tip line at

Related StoryTV Station Security Guard Dies After Being Shot While Protecting News Crew

Chicago leaders have been trying to curb violence in the city. This week the city council voted 30-19 to extend a curfew on young people after a rash of violence in the downtown area.

According to PBS station WTTW-TV, “The city’s curfew now starts at 10 p.m. seven days a week and applies to 17-year-olds. In effect since 1992, the city’s curfew had allowed teens to stay out until 11 p.m., and only covered those 16 and younger.”

The video of the incident involving Fox 32 is below.