‘King Charles’ Ends After Six Months on CNN

King Charles final episode. (Credit: CNN)

King Charles has been benched by CNN.

On Monday, the cable network confirmed the weekly talk show featuring CBS Mornings anchor Gayle King and NBA star-turned-TNT analyst Charles Barkley had ended after just under six months.

Still, CNN said the show was always intended to be a limited series.

King Charles has come to the end of its limited run, as we announced when it launched last fall, and was a great addition to CNN’s lineup,” the network said in a statement on Monday, April 15.

Related StoryDon Lemon Sits Down With CNN & Calls B.S. on Elon Musk’s Free Speech Claims

Last week King told viewers the show would not return.

“We have to say this is the last show of our limited series,” she said.

“We’ve got so many amazing people who work on the show behind the scenes,” Barkley added.

“We will see you the next time, whenever we see you,” King said. “Thanks so much for being with us for the past six months. We had a blast.”

Former CNN CEO Chris Licht spearheaded the show, which launched on Nov. 29 at 10PM ET.

Before the program debuted, CNN said King Charles would feature the two hosts “engaging each other, their guests and their audience in freewheeling and authentic conversations centered around the week’s most interesting stories, moments and cultural themes.”

Topics on the show ranged from hard-hitting issues like gun control to pop culture.

But the ratings weren’t great and the show generated few headlines.

The Hollywood Reporter declared the premiere episode a ratings “flop.” The outlet said the episode drew 501,000 viewers and was the network’s lowest rated premiere of 2023.

Watch the hosts say goodbye in the video below.