‘Jennifer Hudson Show’ and ‘The Talk’ Delay Premieres After Criticism From Striking Writers and Actors

Artwork for 'The Jennifer Hudson Show'. Credit: Twitter

The Jennifer Hudson Show and The Talk are pressing pause on their fall premieres after facing criticism for resuming production during the Hollywood strikes.

Both shows were scheduled to return with new episodes on Monday, Sept. 18.

But after getting called out by striking writers and actors, the premieres are now on hold.

Related StoryDrew Barrymore Reverses Decision to Bring Talk Show Back During Strikes

On Aug. 31, Hudson’s show posted a promo on Instagram and included the caption: “We’re Back! Season 2 of The Jennifer Hudson Show is premiering September 18th! Get your tickets to join our studio audience.”

The daytime talk show is distributed by Warner Bros., while CBS produces The Talk.

Sources told The Hollywood Reporter on Sunday that Hudson “advocated” for putting her show on hold. It’s unclear if she was involved in the decision to resume production.

Meantime, a spokesperson for CBS issued a statement to Variety saying, “The Talk is pausing its season premiere scheduled for September 18. We will continue to evaluate plans for a new launch date.”

The announcements came just hours after Drew Barrymore said earlier in the day that she would be postponing her show’s return.

“I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over,” Barrymore wrote on Instagram Sunday morning. “I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today. We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon.”

Barrymore executive produces the show alongside Jason Kurtz. The program is produced and distributed by CBS Media Ventures and filmed in New York City.

The show returned to production last week, with the actress saying in a since-deleted Instagram post, “I own this choice.”

The Writers Guild of America quickly warned her on X/Twitter that the show was “in violation of WGA strike rules.”

Barrymore released, and later deleted, a tearful apology video on Instagram Friday addressing the backlash.

“I wanted to own a decision, so that it wasn’t a PR-protected situation, and I would just take full responsibility for my actions,” she said in the since-deleted video. “I know there’s just nothing I can do that will make this okay for those this is not okay with. I fully accept that.”

The Los Angeles Times described Barrymore’s social media posts as a public relations debacle on Sunday, writing: “Barrymore managed to squander much of the goodwill she stockpiled over more than four decades in the business, including three years as a growing force in daytime TV.”