San Francisco’s reparations panel introduced a bold new proposal on Monday, to give longtime Black residents $5 million each to address generations of “harm.”
The draft proposal, which was presented to elected leaders last month, says city governments across the United States have played a role in “perpetuating harms that further marginalize their African American communities.”
While California wasn’t a slave state, the 15-member San Francisco African American Reparations Advisory Committee said the city and county of San Francisco for years have been “undermining Black wealth and actively displacing the city’s Black population.”
“As the growth of San Francisco’s African American population accelerated between 1940 and 1963, public and private entities facilitated and coddled the conditions that created near-exclusive Black communities within the city, limited political participation and representation, disinvested from academic and cultural institutions, and intentionally displaced Black communities from San Francisco,” the proposal says.
To compensate Black residents, the panel made the following recommendations:
-Provide a one-time, lump sum payment of $5 million to each eligible person.
[Eligible residents must be at least 18 and show they identified as Black or African American on public documents for at least 10 years. Among other requirements, residents must have documents proving they were born in San Francisco between 1940 and 1996 — or migrated to the city during that time frame — and have proof of residency for at least 13 years].
-Finance a debt forgiveness program clearing all educational, personal, credit card, payday loans.
-Provide financial education to Black residents.
– Supplement the income of lower-income Black households to meet the current Area Median Income (AMI) of $97,000, for at least 250 years.
The reparations committee told Fox News it has not yet gotten any feedback from the city’s board on the recommendations.
Meantime, Fox brought on two prominent Black California conservatives — attorney and Fox News contributor Leo Terrell and former gubernatorial candidate Larry Elder — to discuss the proposal. Both expressed outrage.
“It’s not going to ever get implemented. I’ll be the first to fight against this,” Terrell said. “This is outrageous, it’s unlawful, it’s unconstitutional, it’s racist!”
“The whole thing is absolutely insulting. What’s next, they’re going to give California back to Mexico?” Elder added.
Elder who was trounced in a 2021 election to recall and replace Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, accused Democrats in left-leaning San Francisco of plotting to “keep getting that monolithic Black vote.”
The reparations panel will submit its final proposal in June. A state committee is considering a separate reparations plan.