The domestic abuse case involving Ricky Martin has taken a shocking turn after a new report identified the superstar singer’s accuser as his 21-year-old nephew.
Marca, a Spanish news website, unveiled the new details identifying Dennis Yadiel Sanchez as the accuser.
Puerto Rican authorities issued a domestic violence-related restraining order against Martin earlier this month. But the accuser remained anonymous under what’s known as Law 54, the Puerto Rico Domestic Abuse Prevention and Intervention Act.
According to Marca, Martin’s brother Eric Martin has since stepped forward to claim the alleged victim is Martin’s nephew. If the allegations are proven true, Ricky Martin could face up to 50 years in prison under Puerto Rican incest laws.
In a statement Friday, Martin’s attorney Marty Singer called the allegations “untrue” and “disgusting.”
“Unfortunately the person who made this claim is struggling with deep mental health challenges,” Singer said. “Ricky Martin has, of course, never been — and would never be — involved in any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew.”
The restraining order said the accuser and Martin, 50, dated for seven months, and broke up two months before the order was obtained, the Associated Press reported. The petitioner said Martin did not accept the breakup and “has been seen loitering near the accuser’s house at least three times.”
Right after the order was filed, police in the Puerto Rican coastal town of Dorado where Martin lives told the AP that officers had been unable to serve the pop star.
“Up until now, police haven’t been able to find him,” police spokesman Axel Valencia said.
Martin released a previous statement on July 3, denying the allegations in the restraining order.
“The protection order against me is based on completely false allegations, so I will respond through the judicial process process with the facts and the dignity that characterize me,” the statement said. “Because it is an ongoing legal matter, I cannot make detailed statements at this time. I am grateful for the countless messages of solidarity, and I receive them with all my heart.”
The case is scheduled to go to court on July 21.
Martin is married to painter Jwan Yosef. They are parents to four children. The Grammy-winning global icon just released a new album titled “Play” on July 13, through Sony Music Latin.
Martin was also recently cast in the Apple TV+ comedy series Mr. and Mrs. American Pie, based on the popular novel of the same name by Juliet McDaniel.
The singer is scheduled to perform at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles on July 22 and 23. A rep for the venue did not respond to Urban Hollywood 411‘s request for information on whether the show will still take place.