R. Kelly has lost another round in court.
A federal judge on Tuesday denied the musician’s request to be released on bail because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The “Ignition” singer’s legal team filed a brief last month requesting his release from Chicago’s Metropolitan Correctional Center (MCC), saying the 53-year-old star’s age and recent health problems put him at higher risk for catching COVID-19.
But Brooklyn federal judge Ann Donnelly said Kelly should remain behind bars, according to the Associated Press.
“The defendant is currently in custody because of the risks that he will flee or attempt to obstruct, threaten or intimidate prospective witnesses,” U.S. District Judge Ann Donnelly wrote in her denial. “The defendant has not explained how those risks have changed.”
Kelly’s 18-page brief cited poor jail conditions and said few precautions were being taken to stop the spread of COVID-19.
“The health risk to Mr. Kelly, because of his age and existing health issues, especially considering the conditions at the MCC, necessitates his release on bail,” the filing stated.
Kelly is awaiting trial on sexual abuse, child pornography and obstruction of justice charges. He has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.
The Grammy-winning singer and songwriter has been in jail since July.