LAPD Launches Investigation Into Police Handling of Nipsey Hussle Case

Nipsey Hussle (Credit: Shutterstock)

The Los Angeles Police Department is now investigating itself after new information revealed the woman who drove the getaway car after a gunman shot Nipsey Hussle, was turned away when she tried to surrender to police.

In a story published Monday, the Los Angeles Times said the LAPD confirmed its Internal Affairs Group is investigating a desk officer’s response at the 77th Street police station.

“We want to make sure all of policies and procedures were followed,” Josh Rubenstein, the LAPD’s chief spokesman, told the paper.

Recently released grand jury transcripts show the woman was turned away when she went to the police station after seeing her car and license plate on the news.

“Oh my God,” the woman told the grand jury she said to her mother. “My car is on here and everything and I didn’t do anything. I didn’t know this boy was gonna do this.”

Related StoryBET Awards 2019 – Nipsey Hussle Remembered as ‘Revolutionary’

The woman said her mom quickly called the LAPD, but was told detectives wouldn’t be available until 6 a.m. the next day. When the two arrived at the police station the next morning, the woman said the front desk officer turned her away.

“One of the police officers is like, ‘Well, don’t worry about it,’ you know, ‘Don’t listen to the news,’” the woman testified. “My mom said, ‘Well, she needs to talk to somebody.’ But he said, ‘Don’t worry about it.’ So we just left.”

The woman eventually spoke with detectives and is now cooperating in the investigation. Her name is being withheld for her safety because she received a series of threats.

The grand jury transcript was unsealed after a request by local media for it to be made public. The transcript, made available on June 27, said Hussle was shot after he had a four-minute conversation with suspect Eric Holder.

Related StoryNipsey Hussle Shooting Erupted After ‘Snitch’ Comments, Grand Jury Records Say

According to the transcript, the shooting was sparked by a dispute about “snitching.”

“Apparently, the conversation had something to do with [Hussle] telling Mr. Holder that word on the street was that Mr. Holder was snitching,” Deputy Dist. Atty. John McKinney told the grand jury.

Hussle, real name Ermias Asghedom, was fatally shot on March 31 in South Los Angeles outside his Marathon Clothing store. Two other men were injured. Police say Holder used two guns and shot the Grammy-nominated rapper at least ten times, before fleeing in a getaway car.

Holder, 29, was arrested two days later.

Los Angeles County prosecutors charged him with one count of murder, two counts each of attempted murder and assault with a firearm and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon. He pleaded not guilty.