Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are suing the paparazzi for what they describe as intrusive photos taken of their son Archie.
The couple filed a lawsuit Thursday at the Santa Monica courthouse and alleged invasion of privacy — claiming that unnamed individuals photographed their 14-month-old son in the backyard of the California home, where the family now lives.
“Every individual and family member in California is guaranteed by law the right to privacy in their home,” attorney Michael J. Kump said in a statement obtained by the Los Angeles Times. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are filing this lawsuit to protect their young son’s right to privacy in their home without intrusion by photographers, and to uncover and stop those who seek to profit from these illegal actions.”
According to the lawsuit, “Some paparazzi and media outlets have flown drones a mere 20 feet above the house, as often as three times a day, to obtain photographs of the couple and their young son in their private residence (some of which have been sold and published).”
“The family has tried to ignore these physical and constructive trespasses as best they can and go about their daily routine in these unique times,” the suit continues. “But the Plaintiffs recently learned that certain paparazzi and their enablers have crossed a red line for any parent.”
The royal couple also said in their complaint that they expect to be followed by the media when in public, but they are drawing the line when it comes to invasions of privacy at their home. The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.
While this suit is not related to any other litigation, Markle has previously sued a British tabloid for publishing a handwritten letter she wrote to her estranged father.