Chris Rock addressed the Oscars slap during a stand-up set Friday, just hours after Will Smith released his apology video.
While performing in Atlanta, Rock compared the actor to jailed Death Row Records co-founder Suge Knight, who was known for settling business disputes with violence. Knight is currently serving 28 years in prison for voluntary manslaughter after driving his pickup truck into two men at a video shoot, and one victim died.
“Everybody is trying to be a f—ing victim. If everybody claims to be a victim, then nobody will hear the real victims,” Rock said, according to CNN. “Even me getting smacked by Suge Smith… I went to work the next day, I got kids.”
The comedian added, “Anyone who says words hurt has never been punched in the face.”
Rock’s stand-up set at his “Chris Rock Ego Death World Tour,” followed the release of Smith’s nearly six-minute video saying he’s “deeply remorseful” for smacking the comedian on stage at the Oscars in March.
Smith posted the video to his social media channels, saying he’s tried to apologize to Rock but so far he’s gotten no response from the comic.
“I’ve reached out to Chris and the message that came back is that he’s not ready to talk, and when he is, he will reach out,” Smith shared. “So I will say to you, Chris, I apologize to you. My behavior was unacceptable, and I’m here whenever you’re ready to talk.”
Slapgate began on March 27, when Rock told a joke at the Oscars about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith.
The comedian ventured off topic as he presented the best documentary award, and suggested Pinkett Smith would star in a sequel to “G.I. Jane” due to her shaved head. Pinkett Smith has been open about having alopecia, which causes hair loss.
Related Story: Suge Knight Biopic Officially in the Works
In response to the joke, Smith stormed the stage, slapped Rock and twice shouted, “Keep my wife’s name out of your f—ing mouth!”
Later in the ceremony, Smith gave a tearful acceptance speech after winning the best actor Oscar for his performance in King Richard.
The film Academy’s Board of Governors has since banned the actor from attending the Oscars for 10 years.