Bill Cosby’s reps blasted a Pennsylvania appeals court decision Tuesday that upheld the guilty verdict in his sexual assault trial.
Cosby’s legal team sought to have his conviction on three counts of aggravated indecent assault overturned, arguing that five women who accused the comedian of sexual assault should never have been allowed to testify in his criminal trial, which ended with him being convicted for sexually assaulting Andrea Constand.
The Superior Court disagreed, saying in its ruling that the additional witnesses’ testimony was evidence of Cosby’s “unique sexual assault playbook,” according to The Associated Press.
Related Story: Wendy Williams Wants Bill Cosby to ‘Shut Up and Do His Time’
Shortly after the appeals court decision was handed down, Cosby’s reps called the ruling “appalling” in a statement posted on the comedian’s Instagram page.
“This news of the Superior Court denying Mr. Cosby’s appeal is appalling and disappointing, but it shows the level of corruption that resides in the Judicial System of Pennsylvania,” the statement began.
It went on to say the judges’ minds were already made up when they got the case, and vowed that Cosby would take his fight to the state Supreme Court.
“We’re not shocked because it shows the world that this isn’t about justice, but this is a political scheme to destroy Mr. Cosby, however they will not stop us and we will prevail in the state Supreme Court. Mr. Cosby remains hopeful and he stands behind his innocence,” the statement added.
In April 2018, a Pennsylvania jury found the comedian guilty of drugging and sexually assaulting former Temple University employee Andrea Constand at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004. The verdict was handed down after Cosby’s first trial ended with a hung jury.
The Hollywood legend was sentenced in September 2018 to three to 10 years in state prison.
In a jailhouse interview last month with the National Newspaper Publishers Association’s BlackPressUSA.com, The Cosby Show star said he expects to serve the full sentence.
“I have eight years and nine months left,” he said, adding that the entire case was a “setup.”
The 82-year-old comedian is serving his sentence at SCI-Phoenix, a maximum-security penitentiary near Philadelphia.