Meghan Markle has confirmed her father will not travel to the U.K. for her wedding this weekend to Prince Harry.
“Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding,” Meghan said Thursday in a statement from Kensington Palace. “I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.”
In her first public comments since news surfaced Monday that her dad might not attend the wedding, the former Suits actress also thanked well-wishers for their support.
“I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support. Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing our special day with you on Saturday,” she said.
A statement from Ms. Meghan Markle: pic.twitter.com/TjBNarmuBU
— The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (@KensingtonRoyal) May 17, 2018
Meghan’s father, Thomas Markle, told TMZ he is recovering after successfully undergoing heart surgery on Wednesday morning.
“I’m OK. It will take a long time to heal,” he said. “Staying in the hospital a few more days. Not allowed to get excited.”
Thomas, 73, said doctors implanted around three stents in his blood vessels to clear blockages.
The elderly Markle made headlines over the weekend, after a report surfaced alleging he had secretly worked with a Los Angeles-based photographer to stage photos of himself.
The pictures, which showed Thomas getting ready for his daughter’s wedding, made it appear he was unaware that he was being photographed.
Meghan’s half-sister Samantha Markle said in an interview on British TV Monday that she arranged the photo shoots.
Thomas, a retired Hollywood lighting director, had been set to walk Meghan down the aisle at the royal wedding.
The ceremony will take place this Saturday at Windsor Castle.