Former NBA star Lamar Odom continues to have health problems four years after he overdosed, leading to multiple strokes, a heart attack and coma.
The two-time NBA champion and former reality star discussed his recovery and desire to return to basketball Tuesday in an interview with the New York Daily News.
“My damn memory,” Odom told the paper. “I can’t remember sh-t.”
He said he has trouble remembering where he put things moments earlier, and is having equilibrium issues.
“From the stroke, some of my balance is not the same, my equilibrium is not the same, but I’m working on it to get it better,” Odom explained.
On Oct. 13, 2015, the former Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas Mavericks player collapsed at the Love Ranch brothel near Las Vegas after bingeing on cocaine and sexual enhancement supplements, authorities said at the time.
In an interview last year on Kevin Hart’s ice-bath series, Cold as Balls, Odom said he suffered “12 strokes and six heart attacks” while in a coma.
The former Khloé & Lamar star, 39, knows he’s lucky to be alive. But says he wants more, like returning to basketball.
He is among dozens of players entering the Big3 draft Wednesday in Las Vegas for Ice Cube’s 3-on-3 league. But only 31 players will be picked from the pool and the Daily News described Odom as a “longshot.”
Still, with all of his health issues, the Queens, New York native said just getting on the court with the other players is a blessing.
“For me it’s just a blessing to be able to play. I’m just refining all my skills,” he said. “I think God made a deal with me. He said, ‘I’m going to give you life, but I’m going to take your basketball skills.’ But I don’t mind working to get it back. It’s going to be a tedious process, but it’ll come back.”