Eric Holder, the man accused of killing Nipsey Hussle, was assaulted in jail and did not attend his murder trial in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
According to Rolling Stone, which broke the news, Holder was attacked Monday after he left court and sustained “serious injuries.”
Rolling Stone reporter Nancy Dillon spoke with Holder’s attorney, Aaron Jansen, and posted a quote from the lawyer on Twitter. “[He] was attacked by two inmates and beaten. He was cut with a razor in the back of his head and received three staples,” Jansen said.
Prosecutors said Holder opened fire on Hussle, killing the 33-year-old rapper and philanthropist on March 31, 2019. Another man was injured in the shooting. He testified that he was shot while trying to escape the gunfire.
Holder, 32, is a known gang member, according to the LAPD. He is charged with on one count each of murder and possession of a firearm by a felon, and two counts of attempted murder and assault with a firearm. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Closing arguments are expected in his trial this week, but on Tuesday the judge abruptly sent jurors home for the day and cited “unforeseen circumstances.” Holder was not in court and remained in jail.
Hussle, real name Ermias Asghedom, was signing autographs and talking to friends outside his Marathon Clothing store in South L.A., when he was approached by Holder, prosecutors said.
Deputy District Attorney John McKinney told the court earlier this month that Holder fatally shot Hussle after he went to the store and the rapper accused him of “snitching.” The prosecutor said Holder left, but returned a short time later with a gun in each hand.
Hussle was shot at least 10 times. McKinney told jurors Hussle was “shot literally from the bottom of his feet to the top of his head.”
Holder is expected back in court on Wednesday morning.