Gypsy-Rose Blanchard Apologizes After N-Word Audio Surfaces

Gypsy Rose Blanchard arrives at An Evening With Lifetime: Conversations On Controversies FYC Event on May 1, 2024 in Los Angeles — Photo by Image Press Agency

Gypsy-Rose Blanchard faces backlash over newly surfaced recordings of her going on racist rants while she was in prison.

The Gypsy Rose: Life After Lock Up star spoke out Friday, Aug. 21, after audio began circulating online of her using the N-word and making racist remarks about her sister’s interracial relationship.

Blanchard addressed the recordings in a since-deleted statement on TikTok

“I want to directly address some of the old prison phone calls that have recently been shared online,” she wrote, per Us Weekly. “In those conversations, I used racist language and made cruel, disrespectful comments, including about people I love, my sister Mia and her fiancé André.”

The recordings reportedly captured conversations Blanchard had with family members and her now ex-husband, Ryan Anderson, while she was locked up.

RelatedCapitol Records Drops Virtual Rapper FN Meka After ‘N-Word’ Backlash

Gypsy Rose: Life After Lock Up (Credit: Lifetime)
Gypsy Rose: Life After Lock Up (Credit: Lifetime)

In one recording, Blanchard used the racial slur while referring to other inmates. Another included comments about her sister Mia Blanchard dating Black men. Mia’s fiancé André is Black.

In her statement, Blanchard admitted there was no excuse for the offensive language.

“To the Black community, I’m sorry for using words that are hateful and demeaning,” she wrote. “To Mia and André, I’m especially sorry. You didn’t deserve that then and you don’t deserve the hurt now.”

The reality star said she previously apologized to Mia and André in private, but wanted to also take responsibility publicly.

She insisted she is not racist at heart.

“Those words and attitudes don’t reflect who I am or what I believe now. I reject them completely,” she stated. “I know saying that isn’t enough and that my actions over time have to demonstrate change.”

Blanchard, 35, later deleted the statement and her TikTok account amid the growing backlash.

She was released from prison on Dec. 28, 2023, after serving seven years for her role in the killing of her mother, Clauddine “Dee Dee” Blanchard.

Gypsy and her then-boyfriend, Nicholas Godejohn, were arrested in 2015 following Dee Dee’s stabbing death at her Missouri home. Blanchard admitted she convinced Godejohn to kill her mother after years of alleged medical and psychological abuse.

She pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in 2016 and was sentenced to 10 years in prison under a plea agreement. She was granted parole after serving 85 percent of her sentence.

There was criticism that her sentence was too light, but Greene County prosecutor Dan Patterson said in a press release that the court took into account “extreme mitigating circumstances of the nearly two decades of systematic and purposeful abuse of Gypsy Blanchard by her mother to facilitate her mother’s fraudulent schemes.”

Godejohn was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

The case drew national attention after authorities learned Dee Dee had allegedly convinced Blanchard and others that her daughter was seriously ill.

The alleged abuse has been described as Munchausen syndrome by proxy. The condition involves a caregiver falsely claiming or causing illness in someone under their care.


Discover more from Urban Hollywood 411

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

About Anita Bennett

Anita Bennett is the editor and founder of Urban Hollywood 411. She can be reached on Twitter @tvanita.

Leave a Reply