Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly playing hardball with the royal family and threatening to air out the family’s dirty laundry if the couple’s concerns are not addressed.
Journalist Tom Bradby, who is a close friend of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, has warned that the two could give a “no-holds-barred” interview if the rift is not healed.
“I have some idea of what might be aired in a full, no-holds-barred sit down interview and I don’t think it would be pretty,” Bradby wrote in the U.K.’s Sunday Times.
The broadcaster, who interviewed Harry and Meghan for the ITV special where the former Suits actress admitted she was struggling with her new role, suggested it’s in the best interest of all sides to end what’s being described in the British media as “the Windsors’ civil war.”
The Times article said Harry and Meghan’s desire to ditch the royal family began with “damaging things” said and done at the time of their May 2018 wedding.
The Queen has called emergency peace talks tomorrow for the two sides to work out an exit agreement of sorts for Harry and Meghan after they announced last week they plan to “step back” from the royal family.
On Jan. 8, Harry and Meghan released a bombshell statement saying, “We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.”
That same day, the royal family responded to the public relations disaster by saying negotiations with the couple are ongoing.
“Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through,” the royal family said.