R. Kelly Reportedly Moved Out of Solitary Confinement After Cruelty Claims

R. Kelly Booking Photo (Credit: Chicago PD)

R. Kelly’s attorney Steve Greenberg announced Sunday that the singer is being moved out of solitary confinement, where he was allegedly subjected to “cruel and unusual punishment.”

“#RKelly is being moved out of solitary and in to general population. Next step is to get him bail because he should not be locked up at all!” Greenberg tweeted.

This latest turn came after the attorney filed a motion Thursday asking a judge to order the Federal Bureau of Prisons to let Kelly out of solitary confinement. The motion alleged the singer was suffering because he had “no meaningful interaction with other humans.”

Prosecutors contended Kelly was angling for special treatment because of his celebrity status.

R. Kelly “is not in solitary confinement,” prosecutors said in a Friday court filing obtained by the Chicago Sun Times.

The feds said the R&B singer had a cellmate, despite reportedly displaying  a “poor attitude” and being written up last month for refusing to share his cell.

The Grammy-winning performer is alleged to have told jailers he “didn’t have to take a cellie” and complained, “I have too much going (on) to worry about,” according to a 10-page filing from Assistant U.S. Attorney Angel Krull.

Related StoryR. Kelly Misses Court Appearance After He ‘Refused Transport

Kelly is being held in Chicago’s Metropolitan Correctional Center.

He faces two federal sex-abuse cases and a string of charges, including kidnapping and running a “racketeering enterprise” organized to “recruit women and girls to engage in illegal sexual activity.”

The singer has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.