Disney Channel has decided to cancel the red carpet premiere for its upcoming film Descendants 3, following the death of lead actor Cameron Boyce.
Boyce played Carlos, Cruella de Vil’s son, in all three films in the franchise.
“We’re proud to be part of Cameron Boyce’s legacy by showcasing his talents on screen but we are canceling the red carpet premiere event for Descendants 3 scheduled for July 22 and instead, The Walt Disney Company will make a donation to the Thirst Project, a philanthropic organization to which Cameron was deeply committed,” Disney said in a statement Thursday.
Thirst Project is a nonprofit dedicated to building freshwater wells in developing communities.
Boyce died on Saturday, July 6 at his home in North Hollywood. He was 20 years old.
Earlier this week, his family released a statement saying the actor’s “tragic passing was due to a seizure as a result of an ongoing medical condition, and that condition was epilepsy.”
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office said it completed Boyce’s autopsy on July 8, but his official cause of death was “deferred pending further investigation.”
Descendants 3 will premiere on Friday, August 2.