John Singleton “Will Be Taken Off of Life Support,” Family Says

John Singleton is inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Hollywood, CA 08-26-03. (Credit: S. Bukley/Deposit Photos)

A spokesperson for John Singleton said Monday the director’s family has made the difficult decision to remove him from life support.

“It is with heavy hearts we announce that our beloved son, father and friend, John Daniel Singleton will be taken off of life support today. This was an agonizing decision, one that our family made, over a number of days, with the careful counsel of John’s doctors,” Singleton’s rep Shannon Barr said in a statement to Urban Hollywood 411 on behalf of the director’s family.

The update came amid conflicting reports about the filmmaker’s condition. The hashtag #RIPJohnSingleton began trending on Twitter Monday morning, prompting fans and fellow celebrities to post condolences and leading to confusion.

Read More: Tyrese Describes ‘Heavy Heart’ After Visiting John Singleton With Taraji P. Henson

The Boyz n the Hood director suffered a stroke on April 17.

His family said in its statement Monday that the iconic filmmaker had struggled with health problems.

“Like many African Americans, Singleton quietly struggled with hypertension. More than 40% of African American men and women have high blood pressure, which also develops earlier in life and is usually more severe,” they said, while encouraging fans to visit the American Heart Association website.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.