Chicago Prosecutor Urges Possible R. Kelly Victims to ‘Come Forward’

R Kelly Performs on stage at the FOX Theater on December 27, 2016 in Atlanta Georgia. (Credit: Shutterstock)

Chicago authorities want to hear from possible victims of R. Kelly after a Lifetime docuseries detailed years of sexual abuse allegations against the chart-topping singer.

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx held a news conference Tuesday and issued a plea for possible victims of sexual assault or domestic violence by Kelly to contact her office, according to WLS-TV.

“Please come forward. There’s nothing that can be done to investigate these allegations without cooperation between victims and witnesses,” Foxx said. “We cannot do this without you.”

Read MoreJohn Legend Slams ‘Serial Child Rapist’ R. Kelly

Surviving R. Kelly premiered on Jan. 3.

The docuseries addressed claims that the R&B singer had sex with countless underage girls, and alleged that he abused his ex-wife, Andrea Kelly. It included interviews with alleged victims, Kelly’s ex-wife, celebrities, parents of his alleged victims and his former tour manager.

Foxx, who previously revealed she was sexually abused as a child, said she watched Surviving R. Kelly and was “sickened” by what she saw.

“I was sickened by the allegations. I was sickened as a survivor, I was sickened as a mother, I was sickened as a prosecutor,” she said.

Her office would like to launch an investigation, but she said victim statements are essential.

“Allegations of domestic violence or sexual assault require someone to say what they’ve seen, heard or experienced,” she explained.

Read MoreActivists Announce Boycott of Radio Stations Playing R. Kelly Music

She urged possible victims or witnesses to call the Cook County Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Unit at 773-674-6492.

Foxx also noted that Chicago prosecutors have already been in contact with the families of two alleged victims. She said the possible victims are in the Chicago area and are both over age 18.

Her comments came hours after TMZ reported that the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office in Georgia, one of the places where Kelly is alleged to have run a sex “cult,” had opened a criminal investigation against the singer as a result of the series.

The R&B singer’s attorney has said the people featured in the docuseries are seeking personal gain, and the allegations are false.

Since the six-part docuseries aired, Los Angeles activists have also announced plans to boycott radio stations that play R. Kelly’s music.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.