Morgan Freeman Ads Pulled Amid Harassment Allegations

Morgan Freeman is shown at the 2018 SAG Awards. (Credit: YouTube)

Visa has moved to mute Morgan Freeman.

The credit card company announced Thursday it was pulling advertisements featuring the 80-year-old actor, hours after an explosive report was published alleging Freeman sexually harassed eight women.

“We are aware of the allegations that have been made against Mr. Freeman,” Visa said in a statement to the media. “At this point, Visa will be suspending our marketing in which the actor is featured.”

Read MoreMorgan Freeman Apologizes After 8 Women Accuse Him of Sexual Harassment

The announcement came after Vancouver-based transit system, TransLink, distanced itself from the Oscar winner as well.

TransLink pulled voice recordings featuring Freeman informing riders about its new Visa tap-to-pay system, as well as spots urging them to behave properly on the transit system by keeping their feet off seats and not smoking.

“In light of information we’ve learned through news stories this morning of serious allegations against actor Morgan Freeman, TransLink has decided to pause his voice announcements as part of a VISA ad campaign on the transit system,” TransLink said in a statement to the Vancouver Sun.

TransLink and Visa moved quickly to step away from The Shawshank Redemption star following a CNN investigation that accused Freeman of misconduct on movie sets, at press junkets and at his production company, Revelations Entertainment.

Read MoreSalma Hayek Says Harvey Weinstein Specifically Denied Claims by Women of Color

The cable network spoke with 16 people — eight witnesses and eight alleged victims, including CNN entertainment reporter Chloe Melas — who co-authored the report.

CNN launched its investigation after Melas said she was harassed by Freeman last year during the press junket for the film, Going in Style.

Melas said she was six months pregnant when she arrived to interview the actor and he told her, “I wish I was there” and “you are ripe.”

Freeman issued an apology once CNN’s story went viral.

“Anyone who knows me or has worked with me knows I am not someone who would intentionally offend or knowingly make anyone feel uneasy,” he said in a statement . “I apologize to anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected — that was never my intent.”

SAG-AFTRA, Freeman’s union, also announced Thursday it was considering possible “corrective actions” after presenting him with a prestigious lifetime achievement award in January at the SAG Awards.

In addition to acting in films, Freeman is one of the most sought after voiceover artists in Hollywood. He is also an executive producer on the CBS series Madam Secretary.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.