Hours after saying he wants to walk his daughter down the aisle, Meghan Markle’s father said Tuesday he won’t be attending this weekend’s royal wedding, after all.
Thomas Markle told TMZ he is scheduled to undergo heart surgery Wednesday morning at 7:30 a.m., and will not be able to travel to the United Kingdom for the wedding.
“They [doctors] will go in and clear blockage, repair damage and put a stent where it is needed,” Markle said.
Earlier in the day, he told the celebrity gossip website he hoped to be there when Meghan marries Prince Harry on Saturday.
“I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle,” TMZ report he said.
Thomas Markle has been generating headlines after reports surfaced Saturday alleging he had secretly teamed up with a Los Angeles-based photographer to stage photos of himself in his adopted-hometown of Rosarito, Mexico.
After the controversy erupted, Markle told TMZ he would not be attending his daughter’s wedding because he had “suffered a heart attack” a week earlier.
Hours later, he reportedly changed his mind after “receiving texts” from Meghan saying she was concerned about his health, the website reported.
Meghan’s half-sister Samantha Markle said in an interview on British TV Monday that she arranged the photo shoots, and insisted her father only made a “pittance” from pictures, which are believed to have generated more than $100,000.
As for Thomas Markle, he said in an interview he believes his heart troubles may have been triggered by an open letter his son, Thomas Jr., wrote to Prince Harry discouraging him from making Meghan his wife.
Meghan and Prince Harry are set exchange vows at Windsor Castle on May 19.